Mental Hygiene & 5 Ways to Boost it
Mental Health is a state of well being in which we are optimally functioning and are able to overcome day to day obstacles. Mental health can be referred to as the absence of mental disorder and the individual’s capability to perform to the fullest. It also is a state where the individual can cope up with the daily stresses without being overwhelmed or dysfunctional. A healthy lifestyle and routine ensure a healthy mental state. Mental health is vital for a balanced lifestyle.
Mental hygiene is a set of practices that helps us to enjoy mental health, keeping in mind our physical environment as well. This set of practices helps us to prevent negative behaviors, promote behaviors that provide insight for personal growth, and create a positive environment around us.
COVID-19 pandemic has caused a health emergency causing chaos in the lives of one and many.
Aspects that affect our psychological well-being:
- Social: The worldwide lockdown has prohibited us from stepping out of our houses. As social animals, we require a fair amount of social interaction to function adequately.
- Economical: Uncertainty on the job front is at its peak – which naturally leads to the threat to our survival and self-esteem.
- Emotional: With all the above aspects playing together, we are under a lot of pressure. We feel stressed because there is no certainty about the situation. And this easily puts us in a position of hopelessness and helplessness.
- Physical: The current situation poses life threats. A drastic change in the environment causes us to feel threatened. Thus, there might be a decline in psychological well-being.
5 Ways to Improve our Mental Hygiene
Let’s take a look at some of the ways in which maintaining sound mental hygiene helps us cope further.
- Set Achievable Goals
Setting practical and achievable goals for the day is very important. It helps us stay motivated and engaged, which in turn provides us a sense of fulfillment. Goals give us direction and structure for us to plan and execute our daily routines.
- Take Care of Your Basic Needs
Hunger, thirst, and sleep are key elements for psychological well-being. We should not compromise on our basic needs irrespective of the circumstances. Keeping them in check helps us to maintain a balanced state of mind and body.
- Social Connect
Social distancing has left us with a gaping void. Socialization has taken a huge backseat, making it all the more difficult for us to be close to our near and dear ones. Share your thoughts and emotions with your close ones, active listening and meaningful conversations helps us build mental health. Free hugs are a thing of the past!
- Reflect on Your Emotions
Understand your emotions by building insight into them. Set some time to reflect upon yourself. You can maintain a mood chart to understand and be aware about the emotional changes occuring. Hakuna Matata your way out of your worries!
- Breathe In and Out
It is very important to practice breathing exercises for a relaxed and stress-free time. Breathe in with your nose and breathe out through your mouth as if blowing on a cup of steaming hot chocolate!
Despite proper routines and practices, we might fail to achieve mental health. We might be going through something deeper if there are any drastic changes in our behavior. If you feel you’re unable to overcome those obstacles, try reaching out to any mental health professional as they might identify and guide you appropriately.
In the end, life matters. You matter. Take care and be safe.